- The recipe calls for 3.5 cups of boiling water and I use 4.5 cups.
- I also reduce the sugar from 4 cups to 3 and find that it is plenty sweet and the pectin still performs as it should.
- It calls for a 2 hour steep time but I find that most of the color is drained from the flowers after about 30 minutes.
- Finally, violets have a VERY delicate flavor and you are embarking on this journey mostly for the amazing color. I like to add a teaspoon of rose water or orange blossom water per two cups of liquid- after you remove the jelly from the heat and just before you pour it into the jars – to bump up the floral notes. Both of these ingredients are available at the Savory Spice Shop on Lawndale.
- 8 cups fresh violet blossoms
- 3-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups sugar
For complete directions, visit Taste of Home.