homegrown chefs (ages 6-8)
September 26 @ 3:45 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 3:45 pm on Thursday, repeating until October 24, 2019
Ages 6-8 are invited to embark on a culinary journey through The Edible Schoolyard, the Museum’s half-acre garden. In this 6-week series, learners will explore local food systems as they harvest and plant in the garden, as well as build essential kitchen skills while they prepare fresh, simple recipes. Each week will focus on a different theme:
- sept. 19 – Seeds – Plant seeds, explore the garden, and prepare a seedy snack.
- sept. 26 -Roots – Dig up root vegetables in the garden, learn to prepare them in the kitchen.
- oct. 3 – Leaves – Explore leaves that we eat and how to prepare these nutritious plants.
- oct. 10: Fruit – Discover fall fruits in the garden and prepare tasty fruit recipes.
- oct. 17: Eggs – Harvest eggs from our chicken house and cook them in a simple garden-inspired recipe.
- oct. 24: Grain – Learn to identify grains and grind fresh flour to use for a delicious treat.