makes 10 standard muffins
5 tablespoons (71 grams) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (100 grams) sugar
1 large egg
¾ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 ½ cups (191 grams) all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoon (7 grams) baking powder
¼ teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
¼ teaspoon (2 grams) salt
¾ cup (105 grams) blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, no need to defrost)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well, then add sour cream and zest.
- Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a sifter. Sift half of dry ingredients over batter. Mix until combined. Sift remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears.
- Gently fold in your blueberries. The dough will be quite thick, closer to cookie dough. An ice cream scoop is a great tool to fill muffin cups. You want to fill them to be about ¾ full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tops are golden and a tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Let cool on the rack. Serve with butter and enjoy.
This recipe is adapted from smittenkitchen.com.