2 medium zucchini, about 1 pound total
1 to 2 egg whites
1/2 cup parmesan grated
1/2 cup plain, dry breadcrumbs
A couple pinches of sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Coat two baking sheets lightly with olive oil.
3. Slice zucchini into slightly less than ¼ inch thick rounds; if they feel especially wet, spread them on a towel while you prepare other ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, lightly beat first egg white with 1 teaspoon water to loosen it.
5. Combine cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
6. Dip each zucchini coin in egg white, letting excess run off before gently dipping them in parmesan mixture.
7. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheets. If additional egg white is needed, make a few spoonfuls at a time, matching the volume of crumbs and cheese.
8. Bake zucchini coins until browned and crisp, about 25 to 30 minutes, flipping each over halfway through. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM; THEY NEED TO BE MOVED AROUND SO THEY DON’T BURN ON THE EDGES. Take them out when they are golden all over and let cool on the tray on a cooling rack or plate. Keep at room temperature until needed. These are best eaten right away.